Thursday, June 19, 2008

fairy tale and castle

sgt kecil di banding dengan kebesaranNya

The common tag of ‘the land below the wind’ was initiated by Agnes, a british writer who lived in Sandakan a very long time ago. If you happen to be here, in kundasang, youll understand the meaning below the wind. From my youngest year till here I am now, nothing can replace the fresh breeze amidst a gigantic blue ‘rock’, not even our own Cameron Highlands, nor the Titlis mount!


so country!

I spent my last weekend at home@ranau for 2 days before off to labuan. been a long time since my last visit here, and this time around I took ayah and abg to kundasang war memorial. Just three of us!


my men

Often when we cross a memorial/monument, it must be some sort of plaque or a rock with symbol and a list of names. But this one more to a garden memorial, with great decoration of flowers . Roses the majority. Scented so good, can’t stop my self sniffing around!


The war memorial was dedicated to honor the Australian and British prisoners who died in Sandakan infamous dead marches to Ranau during WWII, forced by the Japanese army. Tragic! From 2500 prisioners only 6 alive! Cant imagine how they survived, must be the brave heart.

There were 4 gardens; English, Australian, Borneo and a Contemplation- just to represent the nationalities. The ‘owner’ of the garden was a thai guy, who took the responsibilities to maintain the garden after a decades abandoned by local community.

In 2005, the fellow family all the way from aussie had a gathering here. And they had honoured Mr Savee with Member of British Empire, well not that bad for a garderner..I also heard that the aussie gov support his children education as an expression of gratitude towards Mr Savee’s effort to preserve the memorial park...tak sia2 usaha..orang kate, buat baik, di balas baik..


When I was small and innocent, I always memorize this place as a fairy tale and castle..

3 comments:

BibiEr Karim said...

I dont believe I miss the chance to meet u while u're here..sob sob sob.

Ernie Khairina Mahtar said...

theres always tomorrow~

benazirjb said...

i'm drafting bout kundasang war memorial. hhuhuhu dari bulan jun lagi. msh blum siap2

Thursday, June 19, 2008

fairy tale and castle

sgt kecil di banding dengan kebesaranNya

The common tag of ‘the land below the wind’ was initiated by Agnes, a british writer who lived in Sandakan a very long time ago. If you happen to be here, in kundasang, youll understand the meaning below the wind. From my youngest year till here I am now, nothing can replace the fresh breeze amidst a gigantic blue ‘rock’, not even our own Cameron Highlands, nor the Titlis mount!


so country!

I spent my last weekend at home@ranau for 2 days before off to labuan. been a long time since my last visit here, and this time around I took ayah and abg to kundasang war memorial. Just three of us!


my men

Often when we cross a memorial/monument, it must be some sort of plaque or a rock with symbol and a list of names. But this one more to a garden memorial, with great decoration of flowers . Roses the majority. Scented so good, can’t stop my self sniffing around!


The war memorial was dedicated to honor the Australian and British prisoners who died in Sandakan infamous dead marches to Ranau during WWII, forced by the Japanese army. Tragic! From 2500 prisioners only 6 alive! Cant imagine how they survived, must be the brave heart.

There were 4 gardens; English, Australian, Borneo and a Contemplation- just to represent the nationalities. The ‘owner’ of the garden was a thai guy, who took the responsibilities to maintain the garden after a decades abandoned by local community.

In 2005, the fellow family all the way from aussie had a gathering here. And they had honoured Mr Savee with Member of British Empire, well not that bad for a garderner..I also heard that the aussie gov support his children education as an expression of gratitude towards Mr Savee’s effort to preserve the memorial park...tak sia2 usaha..orang kate, buat baik, di balas baik..


When I was small and innocent, I always memorize this place as a fairy tale and castle..

3 comments:

BibiEr Karim said...

I dont believe I miss the chance to meet u while u're here..sob sob sob.

Ernie Khairina Mahtar said...

theres always tomorrow~

benazirjb said...

i'm drafting bout kundasang war memorial. hhuhuhu dari bulan jun lagi. msh blum siap2